Monday, February 16, 2009

Lovey-Dovey Day

Valentine's Day- the day that people either love or hate. You either think it's the most important day for you and your loved one(s) or you despise it for it's commercialism. However, I think I am one of those people that, oddly, falls in the middle. Yes, I think it's important to show people you love them the other 364 days of the year, but seriously, what's the big deal about making a big deal about the people you love for just one day?

When Nick and I were dating, I *loved* Valentine's Day. Our first Valentine's Day together, we had only been together almost a month and he sent me flower's at work with a note that read "Happy Valentine's Day. See you tonight. LOVE, Nick." (And yes, I remember exactly what the little card attached to my bouquet said. Why? Because Nick was my first boyfriend, so #1- this was my first Valentine's having a boyfriend, and #2- he used the word "LOVE". Ah! But I did think it was hot that he said "See you tonight.") And what did we do that night? Nick took me out to P.F. Changs and I had one too many Sex on the Beaches (the DRINK), and I was slurring my words before dinner even came. It was fun. Oh how the times have evolved! This year, I did some cutesie stuff for Nick and Aubrey, but by noon, I completely forgot it was Valentine's Day. So, dinner time came and Nick just went and picked up some food for dinner at one of our favorite food joints and when he came home, he looked all glum. So I asked him what was wrong and he proceded to tell me that the ladies at the restaurant gave him a hard time because they asked where his wife was and he told them that I was at home painting our laundry room (which I was doing- happily.) They told him that they couldn't believe he didn't have anything special planned. I told Nick that I was perfectly happy doing exactly what I was doing.

So- to all of those people out there that think life is perfect for other people... you can clearly see that... well... yes... my life actually is perfect. I was in old clothes, covered in paint stains, painting our laundry room, Aubrey was watching a movie, running around the house naked and yelling "NO" at me every time I told her to put her clothes on, and Nick was eating a huge, hot sauce filled burrito. Yup. Life was perfect. =)

Now, I will close with pictures of Aubrey on every Valentine's we have been blessed to have with her.

2007:

2008:

and 2009:

I hope everyone's Valentine's Day was as perfect as mine was.

1 comment:

Marchezt said...

I loved this post. I compeletly agree with you and I'm one that falls in the middle on Hearts Day.

This year mine was spent at home Babysitting so our friends could have a date nite.

What matters, to me, is I was with the one I love and my kids.

We love you guys!